Monday, September 2, 2013

Straight From the Mouth of 'Gem City Gypsy' Kristin Kuhns Alexandre


Kristin Alexandre was raised in Dayton, Ohio where she worked as a feature columnist for The Dayton Journal Herald and the Kettering Oakwood Times. She has written two previous books: Nuncio and the Gypsy Girl in the Gilded Age a graphic novel that was featured at the 2011 NY City Comic Con; and Find a Great Guy: Now and Forever.

Alexandre was a co-founder of Earth Day 1970 and worked on staff with House Beautiful Magazine and as a contributor to Town & Country Magazine, The Christian Science Monitor and The Daily News. Her celebrity luncheon series for the Chairman of Ammirati & Puris Advertising at The New York Yacht Club was acclaimed, and she has also worked as a co-host and producer of Enough Is Enough a syndicated talk show for WLIW-TV, a PBS affiliate in NYC. Alexandre has worked as a publicist for The Economic Development Association of Puerto Rico and Champion International U.S. Plywood. She is a NJ Board Member of The Humane Society of America and resides in Delray Beach, Fl. and Nantucket , Ma. with her husband DeWitt.

Her latest book is the new adult fiction, Gem City Gypsy.

You can visit Kristin’s website at:

Thanks for letting us interrogate interview you!  Can you give us a go-for-the-gut answer as to why you wanted to be an author?

The stories pop in my head and I love to share them. Can’t help it..I’m a bragger.

Tell us (we won’t tell promise!) is it all it’s cracked up to be?  I mean what are the perks and what are the demands?

It’s so much fun. When I travel I write, I can’t stop.

Tell us for real what your family feels about you spending so much time getting your book written, polished, edited, formatted, published, what have you?

It takes time and I write while my family watches TV or does something else, Sometimes they resent me, for sure. I loved self publishing my two books and this one was taken in and adopted and put out by a fellow writer turned publisher.

This is for pet lovers.  If you don’t own a pet, skip this question, but do your pets actually get their food on time or do they have to wait until you type just one more word?

My dogs come first and so do my cats.

In writing your book, how did you deal with the phone ringing, your family needing dinner or your boss calling you saying you’re late?

I can ignore the phone but not dinner.

What was the craziest or insane thing that happened to you in the book publishing process?

I decided to turn the story into a film and pitched in Hollywood. That was crazy fun!

How about the social networks?  Which ones do you believe help and which ones do you wish you could avoid?

I try them all---Instagram, Vine, Facebook--

Book sales.  Don’t you just love them (or lack of?)?  How are you making the sales happen for you?

Social networking and friends.

What is one thing you’d like to jump on the rooftop and scream about?

Making this story a movie.

Okay, too much sugar for you today!  Here’s a nice cup of Chamomile tea and come on over and sit under the cabana and watch the waves roll in.  Now…can you tell us what you love about being a published author and how all those things above doesn’t matter because it’s all part of the whole scheme of things and you wouldn’t have it any other way?

I love storytelling and creating characters and sharing their pain and their lives.
It is so much better than gossip and real world pain. Because it can stay behind the pages.

No comments: